Sunday 16 June 2013

RAF Wickenby.

I don't remember how old I was when my dad took me to Wickenby aerodrome, perhaps 8 or 9 (early 1990's).
He had booked a flight to take him over the Bardney lime woods, to take some aerial photos for Butterfly Conservation. I think the idea was I was going to go with him in the little aircraft, however when we got to Wickenby the aircraft was only a two seater and so I wasn't allowed to fly, I remember them saying I could have sat in the back, but it would have been very bumpy (I guess this was before health and safety ha-ha).
I'd been up in a light aircraft a year or so earlier on a pleasure flight out of Skegness Aerodrome and I was really disappointed not to be able to fly again.

Me and Polar Bear, waiting for out flight at Skegness.
Skegness aerodrome.










So instead I spent two hours sat on a chair just inside the door in the control tower. I will always remember the nice lady who gave me a packet of salt and vinegar crisps and a plastic cup of orange squash.
My dad said we'd try again but sadly he died in 1994 and I never got to fly with him.

In 2012 my mum and I went to our first Wings and Wheels event at Wickenby. We'd accidentally stumbled across the event a couple of years before and kept saying we'd go and finally we did and we weren't disappointed. It was a very enjoyable little air show and as we left we both agreed we'd be back next year.



2013's show was equally enjoyable. All the acts were excellent!! It still takes my breath away watching aerobatic pilots and each one brings something new to their display.





















Lincoln Cathedral just visible in the back ground.


















This year we were also treated to a practice display by the only flying Vulcan Bomber in the world, XH558. I've been a member to the Vulcan to the sky club since before first flight in 2007, and before that I've had the pleasure of seeing her when she was still with the RAF, so it's always special to see her fly.



We will go again in 2014! :)


A very brief history.
The first Aircraft began to arrive at RAF Wickenby in September 1942, 12 Squadron Wellingtons.
And in November of that year, the Squadron received it's fist Lancaster Bombers.
In November 1943 a second squadron formed, 626 Squadron.
Wickenby closed in 1945 but remained under RAF ownership till 1956.

Add caption







No comments:

Post a Comment